Hot Cross Chocolate Scones
Why does everyone go crazy for hot crossed buns for Easter when you can make hot crossed anything-you-like? Natvia has gone down the chocolate cross scones road this time! It’s the perfect Easter treat to set you apart from the lovers of buns. This recipe is sugar-free, made with Natvia 100% natural sweetener as well as using only sugar-free chocolate. A healthy alternative to chocolate scones, or hot crossed buns, or hot crossed chocolate bun scones? Who cares! They are delicious and include a bit of orange too!
1 & 1/4 cups wholemeal flour
1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup greek yogurt
3 tbsp Natvia
2 tbsp + 2 tsp non fat milk
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar free chopped dark chocolate
1/2 orange zest
1/4 cup cacao
- Preheat your oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, 3 tbsp Natvia, 1/2 and orange zest and salt. Cut in the butter and mix together until it resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons of milk, and the vanilla.
- Add in 2 tbsp worth of the dark chocolate chips and stir.
- Sprinkle some flour down and shape the dough into a large circle then slice it evenly into 8 portions.
- Once in the portions, roll each of the slices into smaller scone sized and shaped balls and place on the baking paper.
- Prepare the scones by brushing them with the remaining milk (give them a good coating).
- Bake the scones for 17 – 20 minutes or until the tops are golden.
- Melt the remaining dark chocolate and drizzle crosses over the tops of the baked scones.
- Enjoy a hot crossed chocolate orange scones treat for Easter!