Our Top Vegan Baking Tips
Dishing up a vegan dessert isn’t all that difficult with a bit of know-how. Converting a regular recipe into a vegan-friendly baking creation, however, know that requires some work. It might seem tricky at the start but once you get your head around your vegan alternatives, you’ll be baking like nobody’s business.
Here are our 3 top tips for converting a baking recipe into a delicious vegan creation!
1. Know your egg replacers
Eggs are the most common ingredient included in desserts. They help to bind the ingredients together, however, in a vegan diet, they’re the first thing that needs replacing. Instead of eggs, you can use:
- Chia seeds (mix 1 tbsp ground chia seeds with 3 tbsp water.
- Flax seeds
- Silken tofu
- Mashed banana
- Applesauce/fruit purees
- Baking soda and vinegar
- Aquafaba (juice found in chickpea cans)
2. Know your fat replacers
When baking regular recipes, fats like butter add a creamy texture and moisture while also adding structure to baked goods and desserts. Instead of butter and regular fats, you can use:
- Avocado (mash and use about 3/4 of the amount of butter)
- Applesauce (mash and use about 3/4 of the amount of butter)
- Sweet potato/pumpkin (mash and use about 3/4 of the amount of butter)
- Coconut oil (1:1 ratio)
- Olive oil (substitute with around 2/3 of the required amount of butter)
- Nut/seed butters (1:1 ratio)
- Coconut cream (1:1 ratio)
- Vegan margarine (1:1 ratio)
It’s worth playing around and seeing how different quantities work with different recipes.
2. Try raw desserts!
These are often super easy to make and are a great confidence booster for the non-baker. Using vegan ingredients like nuts, nut butters, coconut oil, and cream, you can create some seriously tasing desserts. CLICK HERE to see our vegan desserts and comment below with your top vegan baking tips!