National Peach Month
Good news to all peach lovers out there: August is National Peach Month! Peaches are not just fresh and juicy, they’re also packed with vitamins and minerals for your dietary needs. If you’re looking for an easy source of vitamins A, B1, B2, C, E, K, or even minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and copper – peaches are an excellent source for your daily dose!
While peaches are a part of the rose family, absolutely no thorns will harm you. In fact, they are sources of goodness that are perfect for quitting sugar due to high fibre and low calorie content. We want to join you in celebrating by indulging in peach recipes for the entire month! Here are our top picks that will leave you sPEACHLESS!
1. Peach Melba
We know it’s not summer yet, but we know you can make an exception for something as tasty and refreshing as peach melba! This easy-to-make dessert serves six with only 117 calories each – perfect for healthy dessert dates for you and your friends!
- 4 peaches, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 1 tbsp Natvia
- 16 raspberries
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
- Place 1/4 of the peaches into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour over remaining peaches and toss until combined.
- Spoon peach mixture into the bottom of 6 dishes.
- Whisk cream and Natvia together until medium-stiff peaks form.
- Spoon or pipe over peaches.
- Place 4 raspberries into each glass and sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Refrigerate until needed for up to a day.
Cheesecake week just passed, and we just have the perfect dessert for your (cheesecake week) hangover: peach cheesecake! Mainly using ricotta cheese, eggs, and peaches, can you believe this dessert only has 56 calories per slice? How can you not indulge in more than one?
- Preheat oven to 160°C and spray cupcake liners.
- Paddle the ricotta cheese until smooth and add Natvia and paddle until completely combined.
- Add each egg in one at a time and mix until combined.
- Add in vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Place slices of peaches on top of cheesecake.
- Pour into pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until set. Allow to cool and then remove from pan
3. Impossible Pie with Peach twist!
The impossible pie just proves anything is possible – with a bonus twist, too! You just have to put all the ingredients together with the peaches on top, pop into the oven, and voila: a pie! Yup, just like that.
- 500 ml Milk
- 90 g Desiccated Coconut
- 4 ea. Eggs
- 5 ml Vanilla essence
- 75 g Plain Flour
- 120 g Butter
- 135 g Natvia
- 215 g Canned Peaches in natural juices, drained and roughly cut (about half a 425g can)
- Place all the ingredients ( milk, coconut, eggs, vanilla, flour, butter and Natvia ) in a mixing bowl (or blender), mix until well combined.
- Add the peaches on top of the mixture.
- Pour into a greased and floured 25cm pie plate.
- Bake in a pre heated oven set at 180 degrees for 35 to 45 (depending on your oven) minutes or until golden brown.
- Test with sharp knife or skewer to make sure cooked in middle.
4. Peach and Blueberry Muffins
Having visitors over the weekend? This recipe is a sure hit with both kids and adults. Just the smell will beckon them to the oven, and once you serve them fresh, you’ll see an empty tray in no time!
- 1 cup plain yogurt non fat
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup Natvia
- 1/2 cup diced peach (from approximately one peach)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
Makes 12 muffins
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk together the vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and egg.
3. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and Natvia and mix until combined.
4. Fold in the diced peach and blueberries.
5. Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 of the way full and bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Sugar Quitters, don’t forget to practice what you PEACH! Happy National Peach Month!
Words by Francesca Del Rosario